Pages

Saturday 5 July 2014

"Pulled" into a Flawed universe

Well it's been a busy week or so since my last post, with new books being read, adverts being accepted and World Cup matches to watch.
 
Firstly my stuff.  "Under A Blood Moon" is now officially up and running with sales coming in from Europe and the UK.  Still waiting for that first US sale, but with it now up on Goodreads as well, who knows?  Received my first copies in paperback which is always a cool feeling.  I've also been accepted for an email shot by eBookSoda which goes out on the 12th July so hopefully that will help push things along.
 
I've started laying the groundwork to book two of the Alex Hayden Chronicles, which is called "The Howling Wind".  No prizes for guessing what paranormal creature is going to make an appearance in this one haha!  I've set myself a tough deadline though, having announced in the first book that "Howling Wind" will be released in time for Christmas this year.  It took me around eight months to write "Blood Moon" so with only five months realistically for "Howling Wind", I am going to have to make sure that I am not distracted as I have been by other projects.
 
Talking of other projects, I received an advanced copy of a short story by Becca J Campbell called "Pulled".  This is a short story from her "Flawed" universe, something that I had not been aware of before receiving the book but one that has now tweaked my interest.  This is my review that I have left on Amazon for Becca's book.
 
“Pulled” is an interesting short read that introduces the reader to the “Flawed” universe.  I have assumed this is written as a prequel to a future story, “Pulled” introduces the eight year old Juniper, a girl with the ability to be physically transported to the location of other ‘Uniques’, other people with special abilities.
The story is fast flowing, which at twenty eight pages it needs to be, but you are drawn into the plight of the young girl who has been in and out of foster homes due to her ability.  It was an enjoyable short read and is billed as a standalone story so you do not need to have read any of the other “Flawed” stories, which I have not…yet.
A nice introduction to the author’s other books which I will now be taking an interest in.
 
If you are interested in taking a look, here is a link to the UK site.  Pulled by Becca J Campbell
Pulled: A Flawed Short Story
 
I have also recently read another short sci fi book called Rescue One: Breaking Point by a New Zealand author called Michael Gardner.  This is a prequel to his new book which I picked up through seeing it on Goodreads.  Again, here is my review.
 
Roll on the first book proper!!
I bought this book as I had seen it on Goodreads and I liked the front cover, it grabbed me straight away and as a fan of sci-fi, I thought, heck why not!!
I read another review comparing it to the Star Trek universe and I can see where he was coming from in that this is the Star Trek First Contact to the next set of films.
This prequel sets the background to how humanity discover faster than light space flight and the main protagonist is someone that you want to like, while wanting to dislike as well. Going back to the Star Trek similarity, he is the James Cromwell!
All being said, it is a short story that has grabbed me and is making me wait for the first book in the series, as I am sure that I will be hooked.
 Again, here is the link for it if you want to check it out on Amazon.  Rescue One:Breaking Point 
Rescue One: Breaking Point
 
 
And finally, England decided to cut short their summer vacation in Brazil, a nearly pointless exercise, and with two of the four quarter finals completed, I think Germany are now looking strong favourites to win it.  With Neymar now out of the tournament, I think that the Germans will be too strong for the hosts.  On the domestic front, Leicester are signing their players to longer term contracts, which is great news.  Only Lloyd Dyer has left the club but should easily be replaced with the signing of Aston Villa winger Marc Albrighton.  How and why the Villa let him go I've no idea!  Just need to add a little bit of quality to the squad and I am sure that we will survive next season, which is all that matters after a ten year absence.
 
Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment